- Pre-Wash your fabric. The maxi-dress's appeal is its toe-peaking length. When I put mine together it was super long, so I trimmed a bit and hemmed a bit. Then I washed it. Now my whole foot shows. Dangit!
- When creating your own pattern, don't use the fabric you are in love with on your first try. I love this fabric. And if I were to get more, I would have to travel 55 miles round trip to get. (See below for fun story on its acquisition.)
- Put elastic casings in before you add your elastic thread rows. Elastic thread is not enough to hold all that flowy fabric above your bust. So put in a casing FIRST. I did not. I went to Robyn's and begged her to help me sew down a band of elastic. It didn't turn out pretty, it wasn't easy. Do a casing first and all that heart-ache will vanish. Plus, if you didn't learn from my mistakes, when you finally wash your dress, the elastic will be wonky.
- Watch carefully your shirring. I went too low and it made it look like a baby dress. Dumb. Fortunately it shrank in the wash.
- Don't ask your daughter to take your pics. And don't try to take pics on a day when you had no straightener to fix your crazy hair. And find a skinny person to be your model. These pics are a blow to my self-esteem. Have ya heard how anorexic people have a distorted body image and they see themselves as much heavier than they are? I have the opposite problem. I see myself much skinnier. I am quite happy with that image. So pics of myself are shocking. To say the least. :)
9 months ago