Saturday, June 4, 2011

Big Week

This week has been a killer.  I am currently sitting in front of a fan in my bedroom. 

It's my little city's summer festival Pony Express Days (the Pony Express Trail cuts right through our city--kinda cool).  And since I am crazy and am married to one of the fire captains here we do a lot for the celebration.

For us it started last weekend.  We went camping for three days and got home on Saturday.  With just enough time to shower before my family showed up for a BBQ to celebrate my mom's and son's birthdays.  Then we all headed to the Rodeo.

There was snow mixed in with the rain at the rodeo.  We tried soooo hard to be die hard and stay to the end, but we were not prepared for that kind of weather.

Sunday was restful, as all Sunday's should be.  Monday started with me heading to a local school to help with a Special Needs Games event.  I manned the ring toss booth with a dear friend.  It was emotional watching these amazing kids and their even more amazing parents. 

I've mentioned before that my son was misdiagnosed at 4 with Autism.  Even though it was a misdiagnosis, we lived with those behaviors for 6 years.  I remember the struggle and heartache and watching those sweet parents face the challenges their kids have brought with love and grace and determination was a little more than my tear ducts could handle.  I was weepy. I admit it.

Because I helped at the Games I got free tickets to that night's rodeo.  WooHoo!  A chance to do it all over again.

This time, each kid had a sweatshirt, winter coat, gloves, snow hat, and two blankets.  I also had umbrellas stashed in a bag.  Way over-kill, but we were comfy for the whole event.

And talk about an amazing event!!!  That night several dignitaries, including a member of the US House of Representatives, signed a Community Covenant which promises to support our Military.  They also released a rehabilitated Golden Eagle at the event.  It was awesome!!! 

The rodeo was pretty good too.  The bulls threw every rider.  One guy got close with 7.99 seconds, but it didn't count.  The weather was delightful and we had a great time.

Tuesday we opted to stay home. 

On Wednesday it was J's birthday.  The turkey is 10.  I went through old pics (that are all on the computer--we got a digital camera right after he was born) and was amazed at the journey this kid has taken.  As previously mentioned, he started out life somewhat difficult.  I used to joke that he was hard from the moment I knew I was pregnant.  But now he's a normal boy. (I sometimes have to remind myself that boys are just like that.)

We had a big breakfast for him before school.  Right before he got home I got really dizzy.  Steve ended up driving the carpool and making J's birthday dinner.  (Also it was D's first dance.  The 6th grade dance!  I can't believe she is that old.)

I sat on the couch with my eyes closed and listened to J open his gifts.  Later we had dinner and then went to the Pony Express Days Crash Up Derby.  I've never been to one before and oh my goodness!  WOW!  It was so fun and crazy.  (I will admit it took me a minute to get past the shock of cars hitting each other on purpose.  I was in a serious car accident when I was 18.  The derby was a bit traumatic at first.) But I got over it and had a blast.

Thursday was another crazy day.  My girls both go to different schools cause D is in a smarty pants class.  Well, they had both their graduations at the same time.  L from Kindergarten and D from 6th grade.  Steve and I divided and conquered.  L's only last 15 minutes, so once it was over, I asked all the parents if we could cut in line and get her pic asap.  Then I raced over to D's and got to see almost all of it. 

After the graduation I got to help at D's 6th grade BBQ.

Later, once school got out, we headed to a carnival (a real carnival with rides, cotton candy and real toothless carnies).  The Fire Department does a big fundraiser every year with Pony Express Days.  We call it the Firehouse Grill.  So the kids rode unlimited rides and Steve and I sold hamburgers and hot dogs.

Friday was the last day of school (I can't believe it was just yesterday).  I helped with the kindergarten party.  Then we all headed back to the carnival, for the whole day.

We came home around 7.  Then Steve took the kiddos to the movie in the park.  My little town has a great amphitheater that can hold thousands, seriously.  I stayed home and did laundry, which is suffering still, and went to bed early.

Today started at 5 for me (which is a miracle, so not a morning person).  I helped with the 5k till 8:30 then raced to the fire station where my kids were asleep and got the girls to their parade float.  Steve fed me delicious pancakes and then J and I went and sat and waited for the parade to come by.

At noon Steve fed us lunch at the fire station and we went home to rest.  D had walked the whole parade route doing poi balls.  Both my girls take hula lessons and got to be in a float with their class.  So, D was very red in the face and needed rest.  Apparently so did I.  I ended up sleeping for 3 hours.  Ooops.

Back to the carnival we went for a few last rides.  I was supposed to work the concert tonight, Clint Black, at the firehouse grill.  But as mentioned before I am exhausted.  But I am missing the fun.  They pre-sold 3600 tickets, all grass sitting at the amphitheater.  Every year I am the cashier for the grill. But someone got their first and I knew there was no way I could stand all night.  So, instead, I thought I would write this novel about my week.  If you are still reading this, I am sorry.  But I wanted somewhere to document why I am so dang tired. :)

No comments: